The United States has conducted more than 100 military strikes in Syria in the past five years, according to data released by the Pentagon, and it has been accused of using the country as a staging ground for its military operation against the Islamic State group.
The attacks have killed hundreds of people, injured thousands and inflicted significant damage on civilian infrastructure, including the city of Homs.
The strikes have also been blamed on President Bashar al-Assad’s forces, and the United States says the attacks have prevented the spread of a deadly virus that has claimed the lives of more than 1,500 people and caused more than 9,400 injuries.
In recent days, the Pentagon has announced plans to conduct more strikes in the region, including targeting Islamic State targets, but the White House and US State Department have refused to elaborate on the rationale for the new strikes.
The United States is accused of conducting the strikes to help Syrian President Bashar Assad defeat the Islamic States (IS) group, which has been fighting for control of large swathes of Syria since 2015.
The US and its allies have accused the Syrian government of using chemical weapons against its own people, but Damascus denies the allegations.
Since the US-led coalition began bombing in 2015, more than 7,500 civilians have been killed in Syria, according the United Nations.
The Pentagon has also blamed the Assad regime for a number of civilian deaths in recent weeks.
In March, the US military said it had destroyed a “large chemical weapons production facility” in eastern Syria.
In April, the U,S.
and a coalition of other nations launched air strikes on a compound in eastern Latakia, the province in Syria’s northeast where IS had previously been operating, killing more than 60 people and destroying a number more.
In July, the coalition also targeted a weapons depot in Deir Ezzor province, which is now in control of IS.
In August, the United Arab Emirates (UAE) said it was bombing the Deir al-Zour airport in the eastern province of Deir ez-Zor, which it said was the target of a chemical weapons attack on August 2.
The coalition says it targeted a “mixed collection of facilities” and that no civilians were harmed in the strikes.